Cryptocurrencies are integrating into our daily lives fast and furiously. To ensure you don’t get left behind we’ve created this step-by-step guide to run you through how to pay your Netflix account with cryptocurrencies.
Now anyone can use Bitcoin (BTC), Ethereum (ETH), Tether (USDT), Litecoin (LTC), Dogecoin (DOGE), Dash (DASH), or more, to pay their monthly Netflix bill.
How To Pay Netflix With Crypto
As the technology mentioned above is being fine-tuned and Netflix doesn’t yet accept Bitcoin or other cryptocurrencies directly, there is an alternative option: Netflix gift cards. The gift cards can be bought in varying increments, and once loaded onto your Netflix account will be depleted monthly depending on your plan until the funds have finished.
The popular streaming service currently has the following plans available:
- Basic: $9.99/month
- Standard: $15.49/month
- Premium: $19.99/month
Gift cards are available in $30, $60, or $100 increments, depending on your region. While the card has no expiry date, one cannot add more funds to an already redeemed gift card, instead, the user will need to purchase another one. We will be using the trusted crypto online merchant Bitrefill as an example below (it offers BTC cashback for purchases made on the site).
Step 1: Buy Netflix Voucher
- Enter the site and select your country.
- Scroll down to find the Entertainment section and select Netflix.
- Select the amount (note that the gift card will only work in the country that you selected).
- Specify the number of gift cards you’d like to purchase and Add to Cart.
- Select the Checkout option to continue.
- Enter your email address and accept Bitrefill’s terms and conditions.
- Select your payment option from the list of cryptocurrencies on offer.
- Scan the QR code and pay with your Oobit wallet. Select your preferred cryptocurrency in the Oobit app, select Send and then choose the scan option in the top right hand corner.
- Pay the exact amount required and confirm the transaction.
- Once the payment has been confirmed, the Netflix gift voucher will be sent to the email address provided.
This method can also be used to purchase gift vouchers for other online platforms like Amazon, Spotify, Uber, Walmart, Airbnb, and more.
Step 2: Redeem Netflix Voucher
Now that you have your Netflix voucher you will need to load it onto your Netflix account. If you don’t have one already, create an account now.
- To redeem the voucher you will need to locate the Redeem option in your Netflix account.
- Enter the 11-digit PIN on the gift card you received via email.
- Select the subscription plan you wish to use (Basic, Standard, Premium)
And that’s it!
Using Crypto For Recurring Payments
Suredbits, a development firm, is working on a way for users to make use of cryptocurrencies for recurring payments. Using Discreet Log Contracts (DLCs), crypto payments can automatically go off a user’s wallet using the same principle of giving a company access to withdraw a certain amount of funds from your traditional bank account.
Currently, to activate the subscription-based service on Netflix or any other subscription-based service, users are required to enter their credit card number along with their card verification value (CVV). Through activating Bitcoin DLC payments, users can save money on the traditional payment processes while having more control over their funds and data. It also provides less counter-party risk and better refund methods.
While this technology is still being developed, you can follow the steps again.
Crypto Payments Are Here To Stay
You can now book flights and accommodation using cryptocurrencies, go shopping on Amazon, pay your monthly Netflix subscription and pay merchants directly using cryptocurrencies and your Oobit app. While crypto continues to further integrate into the global financial landscape, there is plenty of opportunity to use crypto for everyday living already.